Friday, June 22, 2007

Way hey, it's stormy...

Well, it's been raining for over 12 hours now. By raining I mean steady, sometimes heavy, water pouring from the sky, with pretty much constant thunder and lightning. Brian and I made a dash for the co-op last night to fill up on drinking water, the downpour started literally as we were hoisting our bikes onto the porch. It hasn't let up since. Tornadoes and baseball sized hail were featured in some neighboring counties yesterday. I would just like to take this moment to say - this weather is crazy.

I'm excited to go home next weekend. I've been hearing of big changes on the homestead. I'll get to meet the new Blue Merle Aussie Shepherd pup who's joined the family, as well as the Missouri Fox Trotter who's taking over for Tommy in the family stables.

Although I am glad our little mustang will still be around when I'm home so I can ride him a few last times, I cannot argue with the decision to replace him. I'm the only member of the family who succeeded in the hard task of getting attached to him, and even I experienced something I hadn't felt for years and years when I rode him once a few months ago. He freaked out at something I couldn't see and started to act up. I, alone, bareback, on a deserted stretch of single track surrounded by cactus and mesquite trees, felt afraid. I can't even remember the last time I was afraid of a horse, but I was scared because his fear bordered on that level a horse can reach where he just goes crazy and stops listening. At that point the reality of the situation (I cannot physically overpower an 800 lb animal) becomes very stark. After many small circles, some running backwards, some standing, more small circles, more running backwards, a lot of snorting, little bucks, little rears, and me contemplating jumping off and letting him go his own way, another horse came into view. Tommy calmed right down, and we went home.

I think the lesson I've learned from Tommy is that a mustang requires a lot of time and attention, from one person. When I was home, riding him nearly every day, he stopped spooking almost completely. But since I've been gone he hasn't gotten out as much and yesterday when my sister rode him to the neighbor's house, he spooked and bolted three times (due to two new signs and a Doberman he's seen every ride since he arrived at our house). For an experienced rider, such behavior is irritating. For anyone less than that, it's downright dangerous.

I just hope we find him a good home. And I'm excited to ride Rojo, who is apparently a "dream come true."

No comments: