Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Little Affirmations

I am not a big fan of tradition. I am not easily imbued with a sense of purpose by pomp and/or ceremony. I avoided going to my own college graduation, making due with my BFA capstone exhibition opening instead. (It was a much bigger deal to me. I had to speak. At a microphone. With lots of people listening.) Since my degree progress and eventual graduation was so zigzagged and unorthodox, not a single graduation program from NAU has my name in it. I slipped in between the lines, so to speak.

However, today a large, flat envelope arrived in the mail, from my parents. Inside were my two diplomas. They say, in fancy letters, that Robin Theodora Stephen has earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Printmaking, Magna Cum Laude, and a Bachelor of Arts in English, Magna Cum Laude.

Although it's been a good chunk of time since I officially graduated, looking at them made me feel kinda good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I pretty much followed all the traditional things... Pretty average, just like everyone else...
But i must say, i thought my chest will blow up during my graduation... Apparently, in India, one a very small percentage of women graduate. Was honoured and humbled when i heard about that.