Friday, August 03, 2007

When the Internet is Creepy

Scenario - A friend tells me about StumbleUpon. It seems kind of cool. I make a small profile and look around. Not long after, some guy finds my profile.

Guy: Hi Robin I like the Picture, it makes you think when I look at it.

Me: Thanks

Guy*: Thank you so much for getting back in touch with me as it actually made my day!!!, I don't know what made me so excited about you and how it all happen, but I am very interested to find out. I'm thinking I would like to know more about you. You sound like all that a man would need, is this true?

*This is only a tiny section of his letter.

Me: If you are looking for qualities of honesty, loyalty and respect, perhaps you should have had enough respect to read my profile before contacting me in this manner. The only real fact I mention about myself is that I'm in a relationship, and only online looking for friends.

Furthermore, since I am not single, even if I were interested in corresponding with you, I would have to be unfaithful to my boyfriend to interact with you, which would prove I am dishonest and disloyal, and therefore, by default, not what you say you are looking for.

Since I'm sure you use this letter over and over again, I thought I'd help you out with a vocabulary lesson to help you embarrass yourself a little less next time.


pa·tience -noun: the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

pa·tient(s) -noun: a person who is under medical care or treatment.

ef·fect -noun: something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence

af·fect -verb (used with object): to act on; produce an effect or change in

too -adverb: to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right

to -preposition: used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from


As far as your question about a "pretty lady" like me being on the internet, I am online to share media and ideas, and it is our harassment at the hands of men like you that make women like me so reluctant to appear in internet communities. It is ridiculous that you describe my polite, single word reply as a "letter" and construe it as my desire to get to know you. I try not to immediately assume all men who contact me randomly are creepy, but time and time again men like you prove me wrong.

Please do not contact me again.

4 comments:

Bungz said...

Wow! This is taking 'jerkiness' to new heights altogether... Grrr... Like your response, but i wonder if it is going to have any impact. Usually these jerks don't care about what you write. Any attention, even negative, motivates them to write more... Let us know if this jerk is any different...

Robin said...

Yeah, it seems nearly impossible to get through to a guy like this, but I was so angry I had to say something... Usually I don't take the bait, but this was just too much.

liannaa said...

What was it we used to call you in college? Oh yes... freak paper.

Apparently, things haven't changed much.

Robin said...

Oh yeah. My favorite nick name ever... I thought I'd sort of transcended that part of my life. I guess I was wrong.

On the plus side he didn't say anything about my feet...