Tuesday, August 28, 2007

At Last

Yesterday I had a few things to do downtown. I'd gone to work and back in the morning, but had taken my car (Moday = recycling day). So, as I hopped on my bike for the first time for the day and rolled down our lovely street, I realized it was absolutely beautiful out. Absolutely. Beautiful. I drifted through town, parked my bike at the library, dropped off some books and proceeded from there on foot.

This isn't something I do often. Given a choice between pedals and feet, I will take pedals 99% of the time. But it was so particularly nice out, it felt lovely to just stroll alone among milling people, some of whom I've never met but recognize. While strolling, I decided to do something I've been meaning to do for a while and check out the White Rabbit consignment shop. I popped in, poked around, had a nice chat there with the girl who owns the place, and then proceeded to Prairie Lights. Outside the bookstore I noticed a bike on a rack that belongs to someone I know, and inside I moved unerringly through crowds of confused new students to the exact two books I needed, grabbed them and was out again in a trice. From there I went to a bench and sat, enjoying the breeze and the people, and began to read a book for class. I was interrupted some little time later by a rather racy conversation a guy was having on his cell phone. When I looked up and saw who was speaking, I realized I've met him.

All these combined factors suddenly coalesced and I abruptly discovered that Iowa City is starting to feel like home. I know how most parts of it connect to other parts. I know downtown. Familiar people populate downtown. I know which streets run which direction. I know where things are in the bookshops and libraries, and that you can't ride your bike through the ped mall.

I've been here nearly eight months. It's amazing how long these things really take.

No comments: