Thursday, August 09, 2007

The One Where I Wish I Was As Good At Coming Up With Post Titles as Brian

Yesterday I remembered why I don't drive around town. My boss said to me in the morning, "I need you to go pick up a piece from the Jessup building on campus for repairs."

A simple sounding task. It would have been simpler if I was a student and familiar with the university. It also would have been simpler if many streets in Iowa City weren't closed due to construction. It would have been less of a task if I had ever driven on the streets between my work and campus, but as I invariably walk or bike everywhere, navigating this one-way street riddled maze in Nick's meticulously clean, and well-loved Lexus SUV was nothing short of nerve-wracking. As I drove around, I wondered how many of the other cars that were making my life more difficult with their presence were driven by people who easily could have walked or biked to their destinations.

Oh, and also it was pouring down rain. (I would note here that although a light dampening of rainwater damages art, it does not harm people.)

Suffice it to say the rather large and surprisingly heavy piece of art, the car, and I all made it back to the mansion intact, but I was so keyed-up by the end of the ordeal that a customer startled me a little later and I jumped so violently I lost my grip on the wire I was tightening and left a long, shallow gash in my arm with the needle-nose pliers.

But, I have the day off today to hang out with my visiting family. Yesterday, I believe my client and I put the finishing touches on her website, so I should have a truly labor free day. I believe my family and I will explore wineries and breweries, and perhaps take a (walking) tour of Iowa City and campus.

No comments: