Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Brian is a Genius

So, whilst discussing ways to make my "new" bike as cool as possible, given my current limited means, Brian suggested we make the bike into a single speed. The more I thought about this, the more the idea grew on me. I could get rid of the outdated shifting system, shed some weight, simplify my around town ride and become a little bit cooler every day.

Today, after rolling around on the bikes paths for a while to determine what gear I wanted to be in permanently, we stopped by "Geoff's Bike and Ski," (the bike shop Brian is about to start working at) to order a freewheel. Surprisingly, they had the part in stock and even put it on for me.

We were well on our way.



After that, all that remained was taking a whole lot of things off of my bike. That part was really quite fun.



Here we have a photo of my almost really cool ride (the bar tape and pedals are on the way, and sooner or later I'll get some new brake levers too).


Finally, as we admired our handiwork, Brian commented that this Fuji isn't a 12 speed anymore, it's a 1 speed. A few minutes with a strait razor added the finishing touch.


1 comment:

Bungz said...

I am not too knowledgeable about bikes. I ride one and i love it. And your bike looks lovely. Been following this story, but didn't quite know what to say...