Sunday, June 08, 2008

Fuji Gran Tourer SE

I can't help but notice an awful lot of people come to my blog from google having run a search for my town bike. I have no doubt they are not searching for my town bike in particular, but rather some broader information about its kith and kin.

Unfortunately, I know little about the Fuji Gran Tourers beyond my own, but I thought I should at least have an up to date photo of mine available for these weary internet travelers.


This is my daily bike. I ride it to work and around town in all kinds of weather. When it came to me it had all its original parts. Since then I've converted it to a single speed, replaced the pedals, seat-post, seat, handle bars, brake levers, grips (and cables, housing and chain, of course) and added fenders. In return it has carried me safely to my destination time and time again.

If you see this post and have a Fuji of your own, please leave a comment telling me about yours, and link to a photo if you have one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the original owner of a Fuji Gran Tourer SE. I got mine in 1980 from Two-Wheeled Cycle in Newark, Delaware. It has thousands of miles on it and although it had little use over the past 15 years, with a little grease and tuning, it still rides well. A bike mechanic a few years ago told me I would be crazy to replace it, and I think he was right.

robatsu said...

I recently acquired a largely unridden, stock 1981 Gran Tourer. I've done some reversible mods to jazz it up a little. Here is a recent blog entry about it.

http://tinyurl.com/65je6w

Robin said...

Thanks for the comments! Very nice job on your Fuji, Robatsu.

Qbiker said...

I scored a 1980 baby blue Gran Tourer SE for $150 with all original parts and a frame in great shape. I had the intention of totally stripping it down and repainting it, then building up a SS/commuter/urban attack bike, but I decided to ride it first as is and fell in love with it immediately! I ended up just putting on a shorty bullhorn bar and a Brooks B-17 saddle, stripping the gears/deraillers off, and riding it as a poor man's SS. I absolutely love it, it rides so sweet and cushy on the mean streets of Seattle. Guess ill have to find another bike for my project cause im not touching this one.

RandomGuy said...

Hey great blog, I recently came across this article after purchasing a Fuji Grand Tourer and searching for some insight as to turning it into single speed. Any tips on what parts/gear ratio you went with? I am a complete biking noob, so anything will be appreciated.
Here she is https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d7d45ac591&view=att&th=12fdbfbd2f1ded2e&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

Kevin said...

Happy to find this blog.

I just picked up a 1982 Fuji Gran Tourer SE frame (black). All of the paint and decals are original, and both need TLC after 30 years.

Thinking of going Single Speed Freewheel conversion. Have already started acquiring parts for her, and I will post pictures once I figure out the best way to restore her for the streets and trails of St. Louis.