Sunday, February 15, 2009

A V-Day to Remember

I can't say I've ever particularly been a fan of Valentine's day, but one of the many things I love about Brian is we tend to see eye to eye on how to celebrate various holidays. We like to thumb our noses at consumerism and go out of our way to avoid doing anything that resembles what we are expected to do.

This year we happened to have a particularly wonderful time on Valentine's day. We woke up early and had coffee like usual. Then Brian made us fancy (non-alcoholic) smoothies for breakfast.

After that, we went to the bank and opened a high-interest checking account, consolidated, and officially connected our finances. Nothing says "I love you" like "My money will be yours if I die," right?

Once done at the bank, we made full use of the small snow-cover that had fallen the night before and spent an hour or so on our cross-country skiis. It was only my fourth ski of the season, and the snow was far from ideal, but the glide was surprisingly good given the stickiness of the snow and I managed to both thoroughly wear myself out and work on my technique a little.

After skiing, we came home, ate lunch, showered, and then crashed out for a lovely late-afternoon nap. Then we woke up, made orangegingerduck for dinner, which we enjoyed along with a nice bottle of port we got for Christmas.

How we're going to top that next year, I have no idea...

3 comments:

Bungz said...

That's the good thing about doing thing the not usual/run-of-the-mill way. I guess that way, you can only go from good to better...

That Squirrel said...

That sounds so nice. The photo of the smoothies is so cool! :D

Robin said...

:) Thanks guys. The smoothies were pretty great. Perhaps it's the start of a tradition.