Sunday, May 11, 2008

Well Oiled Leather

So far it has been another lovely weekend. Yesterday I woke up, rolled over and grabbed the book I've been reading. Brian brought me coffee, so I enjoyed a tasty hot beverage as I finished the last 50 pages or so. A weekend doesn't start a whole lot better than that, in my opinion.

When I did get out of bed, I went out for a nice ride on Steen. When I came home I decided I should really clean up my boots. Here in Iowa they have to contend with things they pretty much never encountered in Arizona - mainly mud and dew. When I was cleaning the mud off of them I noticed how dry and weathered the leather has started to look, the black worn to nearly green in some places. Although my cowboy boots are definitely not a fashion statement, they are nice boots and rather indispensable footwear when it comes to working with horses. I've had them for roughly six years now and have worn them on many, many rides. I want them to last for many more. So, I dug out Brian's shoe-polishing kit (thoughtfully assembled for him by his father) and oiled and polished the leather. It was an oddly satisfying experience, and had I anticipated the extreme transformation they would undergo, I would have taken a before picture. As it is, we must content ourselves with the after only.


Unfortunately, they will only stay pretty for a few more hours. Then I'm going to go ride again, and they will encounter mud, dew and dust once more. But, underneath the grime the leather will be well hydrated and pliable.

In spite of all the reading and staying in bed late, we've had an unusually sociable weekend. On Friday night we went to a bonfire at Steve and Cody's for some good times drinking beer, eating pretzels and getting smoke in our eyes. Last night we went to Cody's show opening where we bent our genders, drank more beer and ate tiny little vegan cupcakes.

In exciting upcoming events, Meryl (who has no internet presence whatever for me to link her name to) is coming to visit next weekend. She'll stay for about a week and I'm sure we'll have a grand time.

No comments: