Monday, February 04, 2008

RIP

Although I won't deny I'm a bit nerdy, I'm not actually all that into gadgets. I don't care at all what kind of phone I have - usually failing to upgrade until my old one is so out of date my friends start to distance themselves if we are out in public and it is visible. I like my computers, too, but only in a very basic way. I usually buy a semi-nice system every few years, not caring at all if it is cool or flashy, as long as it runs the way I want it to.

Not only am I generally not into gadgets, I'm a bit anti-gadget. It drives me crazy that so many people walk and drive in an oblivious bubble, unable to hear when you speak to them because they have headphones on. Sometimes I walk around downtown and keep a count. There are always more people than not who apparently can't even make it to class without some sort of entertainment. I scorn these people, and turn up my nose at them. They strike me as plugged in, thoughtless, and lame. In short, I have a strong distaste for those people who can't exist without their iPod.

Last night, I dropped my iPod on the floor. It broke. Badly. Not visibly, but terminally. It makes a horrible combination of grinding and clunking noises when I try to turn it on.

Certainly, I've known for a while now that I take my iPod everywhere I go. I bought it a little under three years ago at NAU, and it saw me through many long hours in the studio, playing me Jane Austin while I printed or soothing me with music while I learned to weld. When I moved to Iowa, it became my escape from the commercials on the classic rock station at work. Soon, I discovered the library here has an extensive collection of audiobooks, and suddenly I could expand my literary repertoire while joining frames.

Today I went to work without my iPod. I felt lost. Helpless. I had no choice but to listen either to silence or what was on the radio, broken regularly by advertisements that made me feel simultaneously angry and victimized. Although I almost never take headphones with me anywhere, and am perfectly capable of walking (and even driving) in silence, after one day, I am forced to admit it.

I am one of those people. And now I don't have an iPod.

2 comments:

liannaa said...

Is there an Apple store anywhere near you? If so, I would call them. If I've read this correctly, even if the warranty has expired, they'll replace it. It's still expensive, but at least cheaper than buying a new one.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/faq/#warranty1

I think I remember Logan doing this when his broke.

Robin said...

Yeah, I looked into it. $150 to fix the old one (which is, admitted, pretty old and has a lot of old parts in it), $200 for a new Nano.

Picture coming soon. =)