Saturday, September 20, 2008

Road Trips, Visits, and Picnics

Well, it has been a busy time for Brian and me. Last Friday we journeyed north to Hayward, WI, so Brian could race Chequamegon. In spite of rain, mud, and long hours in the car, we had an enjoyable time.

Only a few hours after we returned, I drove up to the Eastern Iowa Airport to meet my mom, who had made it in only after many kinds of delays.

She graced us with her presence until Thursday, and in the time she remained, we accomplished many great things - such as planting pansies in the planters on the porch step railing, and painting/redecorating the bathroom (photos pending). I also took her out to meet Steen, where she took this photo of him getting his grain fix.

Finally,I took her back to the airport and she flew away.

The rest of the week was hectic, with a big rush job at work, a gallery opening, old friends in town, etc. But today, Brian and I took some time to cool our jets. First, I spent the morning at the barn with my horse. Then, I came home. Brian and I filled up our bike-baskets with home-made cucumber sandwiches, baguette, and a bottle of port, and rode our single-speed townies to Hickory Hill Park. There, we laid out a blanket, sat down upon it, ate our food, drank our beverage and enjoyed the beautiful late summer/early fall afternoon/evening. When we had exhausted our consumables and started to grow cold, we came home.

With such momentous events behind me, I am now looking forward to a few weeks of staying within a 20 mile radius of Iowa City, and not doing anything particularly interesting.

No comments: